Friday, November 21, 2008

Collecting Baseball

Okay I love baseball and when MLB sends me their Holiday (Holliday not for us anymore!) Catalog I am always interested in perusing the offerings.   Couple of thoughts...

- I have to admit people who put their own names on jerseys is kind of silly.  Although I lucked out this year and got an Aaron Cook All Star practice jersey because my wife's maiden name was Cook (and to think his number is the day my wife was born on...)  I think I scored some points for that one...

- I love ball caps but come on how many different types can companies possibly make?  I am a sucker for old school caps (by the way the greatest team store of all time is the Red Sox store)  Just to see the hat row is a thing of beauty...

- Has Alysso Milano tapped some great unknown clothes market to outfit women for their team?  Two questions for women and baseball...why is it that at a ballgame a guy always brings his date (I assume) and her friend?  Second why do women come out in bunches for opening day and are never seen again?  Come on June/July is great time for baseball, not so much in April.

-  Does someone really have a Red Sox pool table for $2,300?  

-  Okay I think baseball cards are great.  The advent of all the sets and inserts really destroyed a great concept.  I mean come on, one product for one season.  Anyway Upper Deck which probably blew the card house down, has come out with a product that is the ultimate in what I would call "mutant card sets".  Anyway the product called Upper Deck Documentary is a 4,980 card set that includes 166 cards per team and details every game.  Checklist.  That is insane! crazy (OK I confess I want the 166 Rockies cards...)

-  Finally because we haven't tapped every market there is a market to dress your dog in your team's colors!  I think my Greyhound would bite me if I decided he needed dressing up in a Taveras Jersey...

Only 135 days to Opening Day

No comments: