Monday, November 3, 2008

Rox Talk - Total Hokes (?)

Back in June I was playing around with a stat I called Total Base Plus. See the below link for my early definition of such a stat.


Since then I read Alan Schwarz - The Numbers Game and realized my little exercise on total bases was put to use in 1915 by Travis Hoke, who rated players by counting the number of bases their hits accounted for, not just for themselves but the advancement of any base runner! So perhaps instead of calling it Total Base Plus perhaps I should call it Total Hoke's or TH. Either way in my efforts to determine total bases I realized there was no good way to determine advancement of a runner. Easiest stat to try and determine an estimate of this would be the RBI. Although RBI doesn't account for a batter getting a single and moving a batter into scoring position thus allowing the following batter the ability to hit a single and get this RBI. So with my early estimate I used a value of 2 bases per RBI. For 2008 I decided to calculate in actual
number for the Rockies this year. I used the following table. Obviously a runner on third and with an RBI obtained then the batter gets one base. Bases loaded home run would give the batter 6 total bases (note the HR gives an RBI to the batter but is already counted in the HR total so the four bases are not counted in the RBI).
So what does the 2008 Roxs look like:

So on average a RBI is worth 1.75 total bases. So Atkins who had 99 RBIs (78 actual ones) got a total of 146 total bases or an average of 1.87 bases per RBI. Not for sure what the rate really means. If you look on the low end it is mostly pitchers and single hitters. Anyway that is that. In addition to this you can also rate the pitchers the same way. One thing I don't do is give bases to pitchers who left a man on then was relieved for another pitcher. My way of thinking is that pitcher gave up the hit which allowed the RBI so the bases would go to the reliever.


Note that the RBI total should be 788 and sacrifice flies should be 47.  I am not going to go through 162 games to find the missing RBIs...I figure above is a decent estimate and I will catch up on it for 2009 (database, database!!!).  It is interesting to note that the base per RBI is about the same...

No comments: