Monday, March 2, 2009

Rox Talk - Runs Scored Per Inning

Well an 0 - 6 Spring Training start is certainly not what we were hopping for...at least Holliday isn't hitting the cover off the ball for Oakland (yet?). And maybe our Rox are just tyring to save those wins for April.

Either way that is the joy of springtime baseball...no one cares and it doesn't count. Moving on a few years back I noticed on retrosheet that they had a nice summary of the runs scored per each inning played during that season. I grabbed it and have been annotating it for the last few years for curiosity. Just recently I decided to play with it some and see what might fall out from it. See graph below.
The graph shows the total numbers of run scored per inning from 1993 - 2008. It is split to show Rox home (larger purple squares) totals versus away (smaller purple squares) and Opponents away (larger black boxes) versus home (smaller black boxes). One thing that immediately jumps out to me is the amount of runs scored in the first inning and then the corresponding drop in the second. This is the only real trend other than both home teams have lower runs score in the ninth versus the away team. Other thoughts - it is interesting that our pitchers tend to give up more runs in the 5th on the road and in the 6th at home. My guess is this is when arms tire or the bullpen comes in. We don't see this trend with the Rox's offense? Bottom line...better bullpen or perhaps a good bullpen does help you to win?

1 comment:

Trevor Cole said...

Cool Blog, let me know if you want to exchange links. I run a Giants blog located @ http://giantsbaseballblog.blogspot.com/.
I can't find your contact info but mine is on my homepage so get at me if you'd like to. Thanks and keep up the great work.