My incredibly optimistic view of the 2012 preseason with my 10 predictions! Hope usually springs eternal...but...Yikes!
10) This one is easy...Rox will score the most runs in the National League this year. The baseball talking heads will call it the return of Nintendo Ball and dismiss the humidor. Stats will simply say the offensive prowness has returned to pre-steroid days and that Coors is just a good place to hit.
Rox finished 3rd in the NL this year behind the Brewers and Cardinals with 758 runs scored. If Tulo had been healthy I am sure we would have scored 18 more runs and topped the Brewers.
9) The Tulo/Scutaro combo will be the best double play tandem in MLB.
Well before the disabled list and Scutaro being traded to the Giants the great combo played all of 37 games with each other.
8) Buoyed by early season run support the Rox young pitchers will gain some confidence and pitch satisfactory throughout the year keeping the team in Wild Card contention.
Boy was I wildly optimistic. In fact the complete opposite happened as the veterans got rocked and no one over gained any traction.
7) Nicasio, our number 3 starter, will lead the team in wins through the All Star break (Chacin and Gutherie will pitch well but our offense will struggle with team's better pitchers and tee off on the lower half of opposing team's staffs).
Nicasio was 2-1 before exiting with a knee injury that ended his season on June 2. Friedrich actually led the team with 4 wins before the All Star break.
6) Casey Blake will be a liability at the plate from Day One. He will play a decent third base but will find himself released by May.
Actually never it made it to the opening day roster. Was released before Opening Day. Third base was a work in progress all year between Pacheco and Nelson.
5) Helton won't play in more than 100 games this year but will collect 100 hits.
Played in only 69 games and collected 57 hits.
4) Betancourt will struggle at some point during the season and Brothers will save at least 10 games this year.
Betancourt was fairly consistent throughout the year. Brothers struggled out of the gate and recorded no saves. Belisle actually stepped in and got 3 for the team.
3) Pomenranz will garner some rookie of the year consideration as he will win 10 games.
Oops...pitched in 22 games finished with a 2-9 record and was dismal all year.
2) Tulo will finish in the Top 3 for MVP considerations. He will lead the league with 40 homers and 125 RBIs. He will finish with the Top WAR in the National League.
Collected 8 home runs and 27 RBIs in 47 games played.
1) Rox will sneak into the playoffs with 85 wins.
Did I really think this was possible? I mean there was a second wild card but yikes I must have really been sipping the Rox Kool Aid all Winter!